Home of Whispering Winds Wholistic Animal Sanctuary
Phone: (951) 674-0921 / Fax (951) 674-9998
formerly known as CANINE DISTEMPAID
- Directions For Use
- Side Effects
- Buy Canine-DT
- Treating More Than One Pet?
CANINE-DT (aka CANINE DISTEMPAID) ~ is a natural organic herbal supplement to aid in relief of the neurological symptoms of tremors, hard pad, and seizures caused by Canine Distemper.
Canine distemper is a highly contagious disease caused by a virus similar to the one that causes measles in people. Canine distemper is a multisystemic viral disease that affects the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and central nervous systems and is often fatal.
Infected animals shed canine distemper virus in all body secretions. Inhaling the virus is the primary source of exposure. Half the dogs who become infected with canine distemper virus show mild signs of illness or no signs at all. The overall health of the dog has a lot to do with how ill he becomes.The first signs of distemper appear six to nine days after exposure, and in mild cases go unnoticed.
The distemper virus tends to attack brain cells and cells that line the surfaces of the body, including the skin, the eyes, the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract, and the gastrointestinal tract. The disease takes a variety of forms. Secondary infections and complications are common, partly due to the immunosuppressive effects of the virus.
The first stage is characterized by a fever spike of up to 103°F to 105°F (39.4°C to 40.5°C). A second fever spike brings loss of appetite, listlessness, and a watery discharge from the eyes and nose; these symptoms are often mistaken as a cold. Within a few days, the dog develops a pronounced dry cough, the eye and nasal discharge becomes thick, yellow, and sticky. Blisters may appear on the abdomen; vomiting and diarrhea are frequent and may cause severe dehydration.
During the next one to two weeks, very often the dog seems to be getting better but then relapses; this often coincides with the end of the course of antibiotics. During this period the development of gastrointestinal and respiratory complications due to secondary bacterial invasion.
The second stage occurs two to three weeks after the onset of the disease. At this point many dogs develop signs of brain involvement (encephalitis), characterized by brief attacks of slobbering, head shaking, and chewing movements of the jaws (as if the dog were chewing gum). Seizures may occur, the dog runs in circles, falls over, and kicks all four feet wildly; after seizure the dog appears to be confused, shies away from his owner, wanders about aimlessly, and appears to be blind.
In cases with brain involvement in which the diagnosis is uncertain, a spinal tap and analysis of cerebrospinal fluid may be of assistance; but this is not always conclusive. Another indication of brain involvement is distemper myoclonus, a condition characterized by rhythmic contractions of muscle groups at up to 60 contractions per minute; the jerking can affect all parts of the body, but is most common in the head. Myoclonus is first seen when the dog is resting or sleeping; later it occurs both day and night. Pain accompanies myoclonus, and the dog whines and cries. If the dog recovers, the jerking will indefinitely but becomes less severe with time.
Hard-pad is a form of distemper in which the virus attacks the skin of the feet and nose, producing thick, horny skin on the nose and callus-like pads on the feet. It first appears about 15 days after the onset of the infection. At one time, hard-pad and encephalitis were thought to be separate diseases, but they are now recognized as being caused by different strains of the distemper virus.
CANINE-DT (aka CANINE DISTEMPAID) contains:
- Thyme - Thyme is considered to be a potent antiseptic suitable for internal as well as external use. Thyme reinforces the immune system to combat against different types of contagions caused by bacteria, virus and fungus. Thyme and preparations made with it are especially effective in tackling infections in the digestive, respiratory and genitourinary tracts, and gastroenteritis.The combined astringent and antiseptic properties of thyme help in preventing as well as curing diarrhea and its causes. In addition, thyme also functions as a liver decontamination tonic. The herb is effective for alleviating indigestion, lack of appetite, skin disorders, anemia, lethargy and gallbladder as well as invigorates the digestive system and function of the liver.
- Anise Seed - The herbal remedies derived from the seeds of the anise are famous for their ability to bring about a reduction in gas and bloating affecting a person, they are also able to settle the problems related to digestion. Remedies derived from anise seeds are very commonly used with infants and children to induce relief from cases of colic, and these remedies are also given to people of all ages to help in relieving the symptoms associated with indigestion and nausea arising as a result of different reasons.
- Mistletoe - Several well-known and accepted writers on herb advise taking mistletoe tea in the form of a remedy for a number of medical conditions varying from nervousness to cancer. Mistletoe is used to alleviate the symptoms of epilepsy, hysteria, dizziness, nervous fits, neurosis, cardiac ischemia, arterial hypertension.
- Tansy - Tansy has been used traditionally in remedies for expelling worms in children, nervous disorders, hysteria, kidney weaknesses, reducing fevers, soothing the stomach and relief of flatulence, and gout.
- Vervain - Vervain tea is traditionally used as a stimulant, astringent, diuretic and diaphoretic to alleviate fever by encouraging sweating. In addition, Vervain is still considered to be an effective sedative or tranquilizer, anti-spasmodic that reduces cramps and muscle pains. Vervain is considered an excellent stimulant or tonic that helps to calm down nerves and soothe anxiety.
- Skullcap - Skullcap alone or when blended with roots of valerian is an ideal tranquilizer. Individually as well as in combination with valerian roots, skullcap is beneficial in healing disorders like muscular contractions, jerks and common tremors. Skullcap is known to be an effective stimulant for the nervous system. The herb is particularly effective in helping as well as escalating the nervous system when a person undergoes mental and physical stress and strain. Skullcap is a time tested medicine for all kinds of disturbed mental states, be it tension, anxiety, insomnia, neurasthenia, panic, headaches, fatigue, depression as well as melancholy. Skullcap's ability to heal physical irregularities like convulsions, jerking muscles, epilepsy, wobbliness as well as heart trembles has been tested over the ages. Skullcap is also known to be beneficial in lowering high body temperatures, aid in the absorption of food intake, as well as promote liver function.
- Grain Alcohol - Intensifies, while preserving the properties of this herbal tincture.
- Filtered Water
|Under 3 lbs.||1 drops||0.03||2x|
|3-10 lbs.||3 drops||0.09||2x|
|11-25 lbs.||5 drops||0.15||2x|
|25-80 lbs.||6 drops||0.18||2x|
|81-150 lbs.||8 drops||0.24||2x|
|151-251 lbs.||10 drops||0.30||2x|
|252-300 lbs.||13 drops||0.39||2x|
Shake well before use. Administer orally 2 times daily, as needed.
Click here for Canine-DT (aka Canine Distempaid) Product Pamphlet
Click here for Amber Technology Herbal Tincture Information Pamphlet
Warning: DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSAGE. Keep out of the reach of children. Do not give Canine-DT to animals that are pregnant, or have pancreas or liver disease. Do not give Canine-DT to cats. As with any product allergic reactions may occur. Stop giving Canine-DT if you see any of the following: Rashes, hives, edema (swelling), diarrhea, or blood in stools. If your pet has a reaction, give charcoal and take to a veterinarian. (Have your vet treat for symptoms.) May cause miscarriage in some animals.
BUY CANINE-DT (aka CANINE DISTEMPAID) HERE
Please temporarily disable your browser's pop-up blocker or you won't be able to order. The shopping cart uses a pop up window to display your purchase. IF you are ordering multiple small items, our shipping calculator may overcharge you for shipping. IF this occurs, we will refund the excess shipping charges when processing your order. If desired, you can call us (951) 674-0921 to inquire about the cost to ship multiple items.
***For security of payment information and ship to address integrity we highly recommend ordering from the website***
**Please note U.S. Orders can take 3-9 business days (depending on shipping option; unless otherwise noted, these shipping times and rates apply to United States orders only. Orders shipping to addresses outside the US using the USPS Priority Mail button will ship First Class International and can take up to 30 days to receive. The USPS Express shipping option will take approximately 5 business days via USPS Express Mail International to receive in countries outside the US and are not "guaranteed". For US Customers only, if you need faster delivery, please consider one of our FedEx options below.**
(1) Canine-DT (aka Canine Distempaid) ~ 1 oz. ~ $19.97 ~ First Class (3-9 Business days) ***FREE SHIPPING***
(1) Canine-DT (aka Canine Distempaid) ~ 1 oz. ~ $19.97 ~ Priority Mail ~ (2-5 Business days)
***FOR FASTER DELIVERY OF YOUR PRODUCT***
**Fed Ex Overnight Express Mail Guarantees U.S. delivery the following day to "most" locations, unless you live in a remote area or small town, then it is guaranteed in 2 days. ALL Express Mail orders MUST be received by 12pm PST, Mon-Thurs to be delivered next day in big cities. Express orders received before 12 pm Friday will ship via USPS Express Mail. Orders placed after 12pm PST Friday through Sunday evening cannot ship until Monday during normal business hours. Please leave a phone number where you can be reached, in the event the Fed Ex needs to contact you regarding delivery AND advise if someone will be at the shipping address to sign for your delivery. IF no one will be available to sign for your shipment, please advise you want the signature requirement waived, otherwise, if no one is home to sign for the package, the package will not be left.
PLEASE NOTE: FedEx orders MUST have a physical address; FedEx does not deliver to P.O. Boxes, not including your physical address will create a delay in receiving your order.
We now offer FedEx 2nd Day Air as a delivery option, arrives in 2 business days to most areas. Orders must be placed before 2:00pm PST. Mon-Fri
Canine-DT (aka Canine Distempaid) 1 oz. ~ $19.97 ~ **Fed Ex 2nd Day Air (2 business days)**
The Canine Distemper Virus is inhaled to nearby lymph nodes where it begins to incubate. The infection will spread quickly through the lymphatic tissue and infect all the lymphoid organs within 5 days. By day nine, the virus will have reached the blood system. It then reaches the lining of the respiratory, gastrointestinal, urogenital, and central nervous system where it begins to cause damage.
The early symptoms include:
- Loss of appetite
- Fever (103°F to 106°F)
- Eye and/or nose discharge
- Mild eye inflammation
In the secondary stages dogs will experience gastrointestinal and respiratory symptoms such as:
- Fever (Do not feed solid food while in the fever stage)
- Discharge from the eyes
- Labored breathing
- Irritation and inflammation of the mucous membrane inside the nose
- Secondary bacterial infections
- Encephalomyelitis (inflammation of the brain and spinal cord)
- Muscle in-coordination
- Increased sensitivity to sensory stimuli, such as pain or touch
- Muscle twitching or spasm, which can become disabling
- Progressive deterioration of motor skills
- Progressive deterioration of mental abilities
- Partial or incomplete paralysis
- Seizures (often times referred to as 'chewing gum fit' because the dog appears to be chewing gum)
Due to the complexity of the virus, not any one product can make your pet recover. This is a harsh virus and a lot of dedication is going to be needed.
- Canine Distempaid (aka Canine Distempaid) - Administer 2 - 4 times daily. Administer during early stages and if exposed.
- Derma NERV - Administer 3 times daily. Derma NERV can also be administered when symptoms first appear (early stages) and if exposed. Derma NERV is an important part of recovery due to the fact that the virus attacks the nervous system.
- Vibactra Plus - Has Antioxidants which are very important for an illness. Vibactra Plus is an all-natural antibiotic for viral, bacterial and microscopic parasitical infections. It can be given with a traditional antibiotic. Keep in mind that Distemper is a virus. Vibactra Plus can be used when symptoms first appear and if your pet has been exposed. Administer 4 times daily.
- Life Cell Support - Has Antioxidants which are very important for an illness. Administer as soon as symptoms begin (early stages). This can be given if your pet has been exposed. Administer 4 times daily.
- Colostrum - Every 4 hours if not feeding Oat Water* or pedialyte. Colostrum boosts and supports the immune system. Colostrum is also helpful in keeping blood sugars up. For more information on Colostrum see 100% New Zealand Colostrum or ImuTek Colostrum-5
- Vitamin C (I.V.) - 500 mg per pound of the dog's weight (via IV twice/day is best if available). Example:
A 30 lb dog, would amount to 15,000 mgs. (TWICE/day through IV)
Vitamin C (Tablet) - (750 to 1000 mg each dose orally). Broken up into 2 hour waking intervals.
- Lysine - 25 to 200 mg 1 time daily - follow instructions on container. (Supports the nervous system)
- Natural B Complex - once daily (10 to 50 mg). (Used as a protein source).
THESE ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS MAY BE USEFUL:
- Adizone - Administer 3 times daily (For inflammation)
- Coconut milk - Great for hydration & viral infections if you cannot get hold of Vibactra Plus. Vibactra Plus will help protect your puppy from other infections such as Coccidia and Giardia. They can become a problem if the puppy has it when Distemper strikes as it affects a compromised immune system. See hydration chart below.
- Pets Cough and Cold Formula - 4 times a day while the dog is coughing.
- Vitamin A - 200 mg 1 time daily - helps build the immune system
|Under 3 lbs.||1 tsp|
|3-10 lbs.||2 tsp|
|11-20 lbs.||1 Tbsp|
|21-30 lbs.||2 Tbsp|
|31-40 lbs.||3 Tbsp|
|41-51 lbs.||4 Tbsp|
|Add 1 Tbsp for every additional 10 lbs.|
The initial state of health of the animal and the degree of immunity acquired from the mother (in the case of puppies) seem to be important factors in the severity of individual cases. If recovery is not easy or complete or leaves the animal in a weakened condition, the following measures should help.
If recovery is not easy or complete or leaves the animal in a weakened condition, the following measures should help.
*Oat Water Recipe (oats strengthens the nervous system; Oat Water can be used in place of Pedialyte):
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1 cup oats (Quaker is OK)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tsp salt
|Under 3 lbs||1 tsp|
|4-10 lbs.||2 tsp|
|11-20 lbs.||1 Tbsp|
|21-30 lbs.||2 Tbsp|
|31-40 lbs.||3 Tbsp|
|41- 50 lbs.||4 Tbsp|
|Add an additional 1 tablespoon for each
10 lbs of body weight over 50 lbs.
As with any gastro-intestinal disease, first foods should be bland and easy to digest. Start slowly and increase food dose 1 hour at a time.
Below is a beef stew recipe from Dr. Pitcarnes Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. As with any gastro-intestinal disease, first foods should be bland and easy to digest. Start slowly and increase food dose 1 hour at a time.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1/2 cups celery
- 1 Tbsp onion
WEAKENED DIGESTIVE SYSTEM:
If the animal is left with a weakened digestive system, residual diarrhea or chest complications, in addition to Parvaid, administer fresh grated raw garlic 3x/day. Use 1/2 small clove for small dogs or puppies, 1/2 large clove for medium dogs, and 1 whole clove for large ones. Add the grated garlic to the food or mix it with honey and flour to make pills.
Usually an after-effect of the distemper virus infection, chorea is a condition in which some muscle in the body (usually a leg, hip, or shoulder) twitches every few seconds, sometimes even during sleep. It results from damage to part of the spinal cord or brain. Most pets with chorea are put to sleep because it is not considered curable; however, once in a rare while a spontaneous recovery occurs. Alternative therapy may be worth a try, as it will improve the odds. Derma NERV may also help as the nerves may have been affected.
SUGGESTIONS WHEN TREATING MORE THAN ONE PET:
AMBER GLASS BOTTLES & SYRINGES ~ If you have more than one pet that you are treating, you might want to consider purchasing one or more amber glass 1/2 oz., 1 oz., or 4 oz. dropper bottles, so you can split up the tincture into a smaller bottle. That way there is less chance of product contamination.
In addition, when treating more than one pet, it may be necessary to assure sterile administration without carry over from pet to pet. This is very important when using Paxxin to treat some pups and using as a preventative for others. The best way to assure this is to use the dropper only to transfer product to an individual sterile oral syringe, using a different syringe for each pet. (This method will also reduce the chances of product contamination.) Those syringes should be sterilized after each use. Each pet should have its own syringe that is not shared with another pet.
The use of a syringe containing measured drops from the dropper will also remove the risk of the animal biting the glass dropper.
SYRINGES ~ these are luer slip syringes without needles that are excellent for administering measured amounts of Paxxin, CS, tinctures, etc. Reinforced tip, large finger grips, smooth draw and easy-to-read graduations. Rubber plunger with double contact for a positive seal and effortless injection. FDA approved and autoclavable.
If purchasing for use with Paxxin (aka Parvaid), syringe size needed is based on the weight of the puppy. We suggest two syringes, one for oral doses and one for enema doses (if not being given Sub Q fluids or on IV's, enemas are or may be necessary to prevent dehydration). Make sure to mark the enema syringe clearly, as you never want to accidentally use an enema syringe for an oral dose, even after it's been washed, as you can reinfect a puppy with parvo.
Puppies/kittens weighing under 3 pounds need 5 to 6 ml syringes. Animals weighing 3-10 pounds need 12 ml syringes. Puppies weighing 11-20 pounds need 20 ml syringes. Puppies weighing 21-40 pounds need 50 ml syringes. Puppies 41-50 pounds need 60 ml syringes.
SYRINGE ~ 5 ml ~ $.85
SYRINGE ~ 6 ml ~ $1.00
SYRINGE ~ 12 ml ~ $1.75
SYRINGE ~ 20 ml ~ $2.50
SYRINGE ~ 60 ml ~ $3.25
AMBER GLASS BOTTLES ~ These are terrific for storing dried herbs, tinctures, colloidal silver, etc. All are boston rounds and have black plastic phenolic lids, unless noted. The misters are fabulous and deliver a very light and delicate mist. Excellent for misting the face or for animals who are shy of sprayers. The cute little 1/2 oz. droppers are perfect for splitting 1 oz. tincture bottles into two separate bottles.
To see photos of the Amber Glass bottles click here.
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this Web site or in emails is designed for educational purposes only. The information on this web site is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a physician or veterinarian. This information is not intended as a substitute for the reader's independent judgment and personal responsibility. Health issues are far too important to delegate to anyone else. It is highly recommended you research and seek information and counsel from as wide a variety of sources as possible, so you can make well informed educated decisions about you, your child's, or your pet's health, as in the end YOU make the decisions.
Please use our drop down menus below OR scroll down for a listing of natural products and natural health information.
|Clik Stik||Pet Essentials||Pet Medicine Bags|
|About Us||Home||Poly Manx Kittens|
|Employment||Nubian Goats||Return Policy|
|Family Photos||Order Info||Shipping Info|
|Holistic Products||Our Policies||Terms & Conditions|
PRODUCT, SERVICE & INFORMATION DISCLAIMER
The information on this web site is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a physician or vet. This information is not intended as a substitute for the reader's independent judgment and personal responsibility. Health issues are far too important to delegate to anyone else. It is highly recommended you research and seek information and counsel from as wide a variety of sources as possible, so you can make well informed educated decisions about you, your child's, or your pet's health, as in the end YOU make the decisions.
The information on this Web site is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your vet, pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a physician or veterinarian with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your, your child's, or your pet's health condition.
The Dietary Supplement Health & Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994 requires us to state: "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is not EPA registered to be used as a pesticide. We cannot ship Food Grade DE to Texas. Any shipments made to California are made with the understanding that it will not be used as a pesticide.
Amber Technology's Herbal Nutraceuticals for Pets Products are not registered with the state of Texas; therefore, we cannot ship these products to Texas.
Visit our new mobile friendly site Wolf Creek Ranch Organics
All Information and Photos © Copyright 2001 to Present, and may not be used without express written permission from Wolf Creek Ranch.
All Rights Reserved